YMCA of Greater Vancouver
Date Posted: November 4, 2014
Position Title: Supervisor, Aquatics
Location: Tong Louie Family YMCA, Vancouver BC
Terms: Permanent Full Time
Salary Range: $37,000-$43,000 /year
Placement: Mid December
Reports To: Association Aquatics Manager, YMCA of Greater Vancouver
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community, by nurturing the potential of children, teens & young adults, promoting healthy lifestyles, fostering a sense of social responsibility and delivering lasting personal & social change. We are building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behavior – we do the right thing, put people first, keep our promises and lead by example.
For over 125 years, we have been part of the community, a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to grow in spirit, mind and body. One of the Lower Mainland’s leading charities, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides services in health & fitness, child care, camping, employment & community services to over 95,000 participants annually.
Nature & Scope: The Aquatics Supervisor reports to the Aquatics Manager and works collaboratively with all YMCA staff and volunteers. The successful applicant will lead the Tong Louie Family YMCA Aquatics staff team with a primary focus on aquatics programming and maintaining a safe aquatic environment. The Aquatics Supervisor will be responsible for delivering on our vision of building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full potential.
· Present a safe aquatic environment by ensuring the aquatic staff follow the aquatic safety plan and all relevant policies and procedures
· Develop and implement strategies that achieve and sustain program growth for aquatic programming.
· Ensure the provision of a safe aquatic environment through the hiring, supervision and training of lifeguards, instructors and volunteers.
· Role model service standards and provide leadership through direct service delivery, with a focus on program quality and participant engagement.
· Work in conjunction with the Health & Fitness, and Child & Youth departments to ensure program convenience and access for all members of the family.
· Explore and develop community partnership opportunity with the goal of increasing the breadth of YMCA programs and services.
· Progressively evaluate and adjust current programming to meet the needs of YMCA members.
· Lead a team of approximately 50 staff and volunteers.
· Provide key leadership on the implementation of the YMCA’s seven priority service standards of: convenience; cleanliness and maintenance of facilities and equipment; safety; friendly and welcoming; building positive relationships; and ensure staff/volunteers are engaged and knowledgeable.
· Manage to targets in annual operating plans and budgets.
· Provide strategic leadership as a member of the Tong Family YMCA Leadership Team.
· Build meaningful relationships through positive daily interaction with YMCA members, visitors, and colleagues
· Promote philanthropy through the YMCA’s annual Strong Kids Campaign
· Maintain an atmosphere of achievement that inspires self and others to succeed at the highest levels
· Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all members and staff
· Assist with training new staff/volunteers in procedures and practices
· Remain flexible – willing to learn new skills, alter shifts
· Attend staff meetings, planning sessions and training events as required
· Post‐secondary education in a related field
· Demonstrated achievement in implementing service standards
· Minimum 2 years progressive, results oriented, customer service, and mentoring/coaching aquatic staff
· Current National Lifeguard Service (NLS) pool option
· Current Standard First Aid and CPR‐C & AED certificate
· Current YMCA Swim Instructor or equivalent
· Experience as a Lifeguard/Swim instruction
· YMCA Aquatic Fitness Certificate, or equivalent, is preferred
· First Aid Instructor preferred
· Advanced leadership courses, pool operator course are an asset
· Philanthropic and not‐for‐profit sector experience an asset
· Ability to multitask and remain results‐focused in a fast paced, customer focused environment
· Experience leading staff and volunteer teams
· Proven decision‐making competency and ability to think quickly in difficult situations
· Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date
· 3 professional references
Commitment to Organization and Values:Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA of Greater Vancouver.
Collaborative Leadership Skills:Ability to work and consult with diverse groups of people then take action.
Service Orientation:Deliberately identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority, and creates opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA experience.
Judgment:Ability to form an objective opinion, make a decision, and take action where appropriate.
Leadership:Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes
Teamwork:Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Communication:Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings
Outcomes Oriented:Ability to lead, manage, and achieve identified goals.
Internal applicants should inform their supervisor prior to application.
Pleaseapply by completing of the following step:
Complete online application using the following link:
Application deadline: Nov 20, 2014