International Certifications

Welcome to British Columbia & the Yukon.

If you hold lifeguarding certifications earned outside of Canada, you will need to do some additional training in order to become a National Lifeguard in Canada.  The steps are as follows:

  1. Bronze Medallion (Full course or exam)
  2. Bronze Cross (Full course or exam)
  3. Standard First Aid (Full course from an approved Canadian agency, either: Lifesaving Society, Canadian Red Cross, Heart and Stroke Foundation Canada, St John Ambulance, Canadian Ski Patrol)
  4. National Lifeguard (Full course)

Your local aquatic centre will be able to help with all aspects of this training. Contact them directly regarding scheduling and prices. You can also refer to our Find a Course page for further information.

If you are considering employment in aquatics in BC & Yukon, we recommend contacting potential employers directly to research job requirements before starting this process as many require additional trianing and certifications beyond National Lifeguard.

If you have earned Lifesaving Society certifications from outside of BC & Yukon from another Branch within Canada, you can request to have your certifications transferred to the BC & Yukon Branch by going to the Member Services page of our website.

For additional information or questions please use the Contact form found on our home page.

International Certifications